To be happy is a complicated goal. It’s not just a state of mind, but one that takes effort from both the inside and outside. You can’t stroll in happiness the same way you walk on a beach, however; it takes work to cultivate positive emotions and build habits that fit with your personal goals for success. The good news is that we’re all at different points in our lives and we have different motivations.
Simple steps to be happy
1. First and foremost, understand where you are. We all have an idea of where we’d like to be, but it’s important to first recognize what we currently have and work backward from that. The story becomes much simpler if we don’t compare ourselves to people who are in a different place than us.
2. Accept that you can’t control everything in your life; there will always be causes for worry. But when the negative thoughts come knocking, be prepared to slam the door on them with a well-formed counter-argument.
3. Don’t wait until you feel like it. We’re not a fan of this common guilty conscience pep talk: “Don’t wait until you feel like doing it or else it’s never going to get done.” Rather, the point is that we have to do something about what we want to change, rather than focus on how we feel about it.
4. Show your emotions with your body language and facial expressions. Although we’re not professional actors, our body language tells the story of our feelings. Don’t wait until you feel better about a situation to show what you mean.
5. Take some time to find your values and focus on taking action on them every day. Sometimes it takes time to notice what really matters, as well as perceive that in your life. However, if you can positively focus on the things that are actually worth pursuing (it’s different for everyone), then it’s easier to prioritize each day and take the steps necessary towards accomplishing your goals.